Jennifer Lopez, Rebecca Black Have Most Viewed YouTube Clips of 2011
The line between what distinguishes the "most viewed" YouTube videos of the year and the "most annoying" is as weak and insubstantial as our attention span, but as YouTube has just announced their annual rankings of the clips clicked more than any other in the year that was, we're happy to remind you of the various videos everyone and your kooky aunt watched, LOL'd and procrastinated over in 2011.
No. 1 on their list of the most-watched music videos -- or, to use the official title "Most watched videos from major music labels globally" -- is Jennifer Lopez's "On the Floor." Though it's essentially four and a half minutes of J.Lo watching herself booty-pop and sip her sponsor's drinky-drinks in the company of Pitbull and a few hundred sweaty extras, the video was viewed 454,305,629 times. That's a lot of people hitting refresh because they could've sworn they missed something -- anything -- interesting about it. LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem," was No. 2 followed by Bruno Mars' "The Lazy Song" (the one with the monkeys, not the awesome one starring Spock), Nicki Minaj's "Super Bass," and two clips by Pitbull ("Give Me Everything" is No. 5 and "Rain Over Me" is No. 6.) We've posted the full top 10 below.
As for the list of lists -- the videos most viewed on YouTube regardless of region or genre or high-concentration of cute animals which could undoubtedly skew the results -- music videos proved to be some of the most popular content.
And the most popular of them all was "Friday" by Rebecca Black, who claimed the No. 1 spot thanks to 13,102,627 views in 2011. If the world didn't know which day follows Thursday in 2010, they were learned good this year. Two videos from Grammy-nominated joke-rappers The Lonely Island made the Top 10 -- "Jack Sparrow" at No. 3 and "The Creep" at No. 7. And, for a little Cancon, Winnipeg girl Maria Aragon starred in the eighth most viewed YouTube video of the year, the "Born This Way" cover that led to her meeting and performing with her idol Lady Gaga.
We've posted clips from Jennifer Lopez and Rebecca Black below, along with The Lonely Island's "Jack Sparrow" (just because itâs a personal favourite). Watch them after the lists!
Most Viewed YouTube Videos Globally (Videos From Major Music Labels Not Included):
1. Rebecca Black â "Friday" (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
2. "Ultimate Dog Tease"
3. "Jack Sparrow (feat. Michael Bolton)"
4. "Talking Twin Babies â PART 2 â OFFICIAL VIDEO"
5. "Nyan Cat" [original]
6. "Look At Me Now" â Chris Brown ft. Lil Wayne, Busta Rhymes (Cover by @KarminMusic)
7. "The Creep (feat. Nicki Minaj & John Waters)"
8. Maria Aragon â "Born This Way" (Cover) by Lady Gaga
9. "The Force": Volkswagen Commercial
10. "Cat mom hugs baby kitten"
Most Watched Videos From Major Music Labels Globally:
1. Jennifer Lopez â "On The Floor ft. Pitbull"
2. LMFAO â "Party Rock Anthem ft. Lauren Bennett, GoonRock"
3. Bruno Mars â "The Lazy Song" [Official Video]
4. Nicki Minaj â "Super Bass"
5. Pitbull â "Give Me Everything ft. Ne-Yo, Afrojack, Nayer"
6. Pitbull â "Rain Over Me ft. Marc Anthony"
7. Jessie J â "Price Tag ft. B.o.B."
8. LMFAO â "Sexy and I Know It"
9. Katy Perry â "E.T. ft. Kanye West"
10. Katy Perry â "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)"
"Friday," Rebecca Black:
"On the Floor ft. Pitbull," Jennifer Lopez:
"Jack Sparrow," The Lonely Island: